Friday, May 30, 2008

Sorry


So the other day Natalie asked me if we could play a game. I'm not sure what kind of game she wanted to play but I thought it would be fun to try and teach her how to play a board game. My favorite game is Sorry. I got the game out and set it up. She was so excited. Her favorite part was drawing a Sorry card and sending my pawns back to start. She quickly memorized what each card did and towards the end of the game I was winning and right before I moved my last pawn into the safety zone she put her hands over the board so I couldn't move my pawn. I convinced her to keep playing to see what would happen. She eventually won and was so excited. We even played again when Dad got home. She got second place after Matt but I think she only cared that she beat me. She's very competitive.

The next day she wanted to play again so we set the game up and she started moving my pawns around and throwing the cards everywhere. I was getting so frustrated and then I realized...this is what playing Sorry with a 3 year old is really like. The initial excitement for the game had ended and now it was only exciting to see how mad I could get at her for throwing the game pieces all over. For my own sanity we put the game away. We went to Target yesterday and bought candy land. She really likes it but only if she wins.

4 comments:

Kim Hutchens said...

Don't you love playing board games with young kids! Nick and I actually played Sorry today. He killed me! Rematch! Rematch!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Wow! I'm impressed she did so well the first time. I don't think we've ever completed a whole board game. Abby does love puzzles though!

stephanie said...

i like picturing the second day round of sorry. :) ha ha! i remember growing up that sorry was probably our favorite game to play as a family. i always remember singing some song..."sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry..." ask matt if he remembers.

Tiffany said...

Do you remember when we would play Sorry for hours? Those were good times. The second day sounds like so much fun, not. We need to get together sometime and have a game night, you feeling Boggle?